Friday, February 11, 2011

Sleeping Beauty

This is the grave of Sonia Kaliensky, born 20 February 1885 in Zabomgewka, Russia, died 6th February 1907 in Venice. The panel is signed E. Butti. It is said that she committed suicide by taking laudanum at the Danieli Hotel. Notice the sheen on her hand where hundreds of people have touched her.


When I first looked on the internet for further details, a few years ago, I found only one reference, and that to a poster library. Now you can google her name and get over 500 hits. So I'll leave those of you who want to know more to do that, rather than retyping it all. One hit says she committed suicide on her birthday, which is clearly incorrect. I tried to find out where Zambomgewka is, but I did not succeed. Perhaps someone out there can help me with that.

I think she is beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment