Thursday, February 24, 2011

Spicy Tomato Garlic Crab Legs

It's so nice to have a son who works in the food industry because often I'm on the receiving end of so many nice foodie gifts.

Like the other day when he called me and said " Mom, I'm stopping by on my way home, I'm dropping something off." I opened the door and in he walks with this huge box that he just plopped on my counter and said, " This will be a nice blog post for you!".
Inside the box were leg sections of rock crab, also known as peeky toe crab. Rock crab may not be as famous as dungeness but believe me they are just as tasty, a little more difficult to get to that sweet meat out but definitely worth the effort!
Most of the meat is in the legs any way and as you can see we had no shortage in the leg department, I could have fed my whole neighborhood, instead I sent my daughter home with a huge bag, she left with a huge smile.

The day that I made them they were still slightly frozen so I got out the biggest pot I could find boiled up some water and stuck them in for 5 minutes, when I scooped them out they were perfectly warmed throughout.

We enjoyed this as our Sunday dinner with a little garlic bread, talking, cracking crab and dipping it into our favorite sauces. Our dipping sauces were of course warm butter with lemon, also a remoulade sauce that I picked up from Whole Foods, which was very good and because I like things spicy with an Italian flair, I made a spicy tomato garlic sauce which I'm giving you the recipe for below.

Thanks Tony, it was crab-o-licious!
Spicy Tomato Garlic Sauce
1 head of roasted garlic, squeezed and mashed
1 heaping tablespoon of Sambal Oelek ( ground fresh chili paste) optional
1 cup of white wine
4 tablespoons of butter
3 cups of fresh diced tomatoes, or you can use canned
fresh chopped parsley
Heat the butter in a pan, add the roasted garlic, deglaze with wine, let it cook down a bit, add the chili paste or red pepper flakes if you so desire, the tomatoes and fresh chopped parsley.
I like to spoon mine all over and dip as I go!
Have a great weekend and Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment