Tuesday, January 27, 2009

tapered crochet cowl pattern

I wanted to make a cowl scarf, to keep me toasty, around the house, and out and about. I have seen some patterns but they are usually straight tubes. I wanted to make one a little tapered, so it would be more closed around the neck. It took me a few tries, but I think I managed to created the perfect cowl (for me, anyway!)

These are good for kids, too - no hanging scarves to lose, or pull on the neck. Also, if you are like my mom, and have a fear of getting your scarf caught in the bus door, these might be the perfect thing! (My mom read about that happening once, and is terrified of getting dragged behind a bus... I think I might need to make her a cowl. haha)
(I don't have makeup on, so whatever!)

Tapered Crochet Cowl Pattern

Hook: H/8, 5MM

Yarn: Tropical Lane Confort
http://www.tropicallane.it/index.html
I used a 60% baby merino wool, 5% alpaca, 10% super kid mohair, 25% Dralon mix
(Worsted Weight 4)
Two skeins 50g/each

Chain 80 stitches

Slip stitch to join. Be careful not to twist.
I worked the first row in the back of the chain. (The hump)
Chain two at beginning of each new row.

Rows 1 - 7:
Double crochet, slip stitch every row to join. (80 dbl crochet each row)

Row 8:
*DC 7, Decrease, DC 7, decrease*. (every 8/9th stitch is a decrease)

Rows 9 - 10:
Double crochet, slip stitch to join row

Row 11:
*DC 5, Decrease, DC 5, decrease*. (the 6/7th stitch is a decrease)

Rows: 12 - 19
Double crochet, slip stitch each row.
Finish and hide ends.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment