Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Sicilian Blood Orange Salad

Although I didn't get these in Sicily, ( I wish I did!!), I've been seeing them all over the stores around here. Originally blood oranges came from Sicily, but now they're popping up all over the US, in fact they're grown in Texas and California.
They're in season right now so if you get a chance to try these, please do. Easy to spot with their distinctive dark washes of red on the outside. I love their appearance, and their flavor is great in sweet or savory dishes.

Don't you just love the color? Look at all that juice coming out!

I decided to use mine in a simple salad. Sliced blood oranges, baby spinach, red onion, crumbled Gorgonzola, and the best extra virgin olive oil you have, season with salt, and freshly ground pepper.
The olive oil mingled with the juice of the orange makes a perfect dressing.

If you haven't already tried these, grab some while they're still in season!!
Buon Appetito!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment