Monday, January 24, 2011

For Good Luck


You should have no problem finding this attractive bridge. It you enlarge the image you will be able to read the nizioletto on the wall. You will also be able to see more easily the pair of hooks hanging near the corner. Venetians touch the hooks as they walk by for good luck - obviously, not all Venetians, but some Venetians do. That's not just something I've read in a book, I've actually seen a couple of people touch them in the very short time I was standing nearby.
What are, or were, the hooks for? One of the streets nearby is called Calle del Traghetto, and I've read that there used to be a ferry (traghetto) from near here to Murano. Many years ago, people used to ride horses (or mules) in Venice, before all the humpback bridges were built. If they were taking the ferry, they would need to tie the reins of their mounts to something, so that they would be there when they got back. That's what the hooks were for. I cannot say whether it's true, but that's what I've read.
I have no idea why it might be considered good luck to touch them - perhaps one of you can help me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment