Sunday, January 30, 2011

Antepenultimate

I wasn't going to post this, but Randy's last comment on Last (Number in San Polo) has forced my hand. [You can see two examples of the difference between Venetian and Italian on this nizioletto - Sestier, not Sestiere, and Crose, not Croce.] But the point is that the last number in Santa Croce is 2359. (It's hard to see behind the wisteria, but it is 2359.) I'm afraid that this is another of the rare examples of ombra.net getting it wrong. Ombra says this number is on Ponte de la Chiesa o Galliccioli, on the Rio de San Cassan (Rio di San Cassiano), but it's actually on (or, rather, next to) Ponte Giovanni Andrea della Croce o de la Malvasia. I don't know where Randy found the last number in Santa Croce recorded as 2347B, but ombra only finds 2347A (in Campiello Giovanni Andrea de la Croce) (and 2348 - 2358 on Ponte de l'Anguria, the Ponte Privato del Civico, which is between the two bridges already mentioned). Another thing I have not figured out is that houses are not generally on bridges, but may be next to bridges.
Randy is quite right about the last numbers in Cannaregio and Castello, but the name of the bridge between them is Ponte Rosso. I'll post a couple of photos shortly.
Btw, 'antepenultimate' is just a word I like - it has no real connection to the photo or to the discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment