Monday, January 17, 2011

Spaghetti Squash "Pasta"

This is a simple and healthy meal I served to my spaghetti loving husband the other day, it's packed with flavor and so good for you. A nice Italian salad on the side, maybe some warm crusty bread and you have dinner on the table in no time.


Once you roast your spaghetti squash this dish comes together in minutes, in fact I roasted mine the day before and had it for dinner the next day.
I cut my squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and then place cut side down on parchment paper in a preheated 350F oven for 40-45 minutes depending on size. I test mine by piercing the skin with the tip of a knife, when it goes through easy, it's done!

I used just a few ingredients; garlic** red onion slices** red pepper** fresh spinach** grated parmesan or romano cheese** fresh basil and parsley.
Saute garlic, onions and red pepper, at the time I made this I had a few of those sweet red thin skinned long peppers so I just cut them into rings and used them.


Next you need to shred all those glorious strands from your squash, a fork works perfectly, it's amazing how much I got from just one squash, enough to feed us twice, talk about "budget friendly!"


Combine your squash with your veggie mix right into the saute pan, on medium heat add in some fresh torn spinach leaves, your grated cheese, the fresh herbs, more olive oil, salt and pepper, tossing as you go along and tasting for just the right amount of everything to your liking.
I'm sorry but I never have an exact recipe for things like this.
Taste as you go, that's my motto and I'm sticking to it!
Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment