Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Stuffed Acorn Squash

I've been stuffing lots of vegetables lately, cabbage, peppers and squash to name a few, I don't know why maybe because it's November, it's cold out and I have that comfort food thing going on.

I actually made this tonight for dinner along with a spinach salad it was healthy, hearty and very comforting!


Some people get intimidated by squash with all the different shapes and sizes, don't be, you'll be missing out on such a treat! Just make sure your knives are sharpened when you cut into it! Here's a quick video on how to cut one properly.
I love the shape of acorn squash with those scalloped edges, just cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and pulp then roast it in your oven at 375 degrees cut side down for around 40 minutes, after it cools a bit then take a spoon and scoop out some of the meaty flesh along the sides and bottom reserving that to add to your stuffing mixture.

The cooked squash then becomes your perfect edible bowl pretty scallops and all! You can get very creative in what you choose to stuff them with, the possibilities are endless.
For mine I used sauted onion, garlic and scallions, cooked brown rice, chopped fresh spinach, dried cranberries, a shredded cheese blend of asiago, fontina and mozzarella, grated parmesan, the scooped out squash I reserved, cooked and diced chicken sausage that was flavored with roasted garlic and fontina, fresh parsley, thyme, salt and pepper.

After you stuff them place them back in the oven for around 20 minutes or until heated through. We enjoyed every bite!!

This is the view of my back yard, I guess we have a ton of raking to do this weekend, winter's right around the corner!
Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment