Monday, September 13, 2010

Time to Make the Pesto!

Our basil this year was the best ever! It was so nice to have it available whenever I needed it this summer, but now that the nights are getting cooler I thought it was time to cut it down and make some pesto before it shrivels up and that would be just to sad!

As you can see I had my work cut out for me. The bowl was overflowing and this was my first batch!

I personally don't like when pesto turns dark after a couple of days, I found that by blanching the basil in boiling water for just 15 seconds and then submerging it into an ice bath will keep it the color a vibrant green much longer.


When I buy store bought pesto's sometimes I find them way too garlicky or just too oily for my taste, but when you make your own you can add or subtract any of the amounts that you put into it. My advice is keep tasting it as you go along to get the right balance for you.


This year I used toasted walnuts instead of pine nuts, I'm sorry but I just can't bring myself to pay ten dollars for 4 ounces of pine nuts. I don't know why they're so high this year!
Actually the walnuts were a perfect substitution, we loved the flavor it added.

This is just a guideline for Basil Pesto, like I said you can add or subtract any of the ingredients or substitute any kind of toasted nut of you like.

After you pick the best leaves off the vines, blanch for 15 seconds in boiling water then submerge into an ice bath and squeeze the basil of all excess water.
For every 2 cups of basil add 1 garlic clove, 1/4 cup of toasted nuts, 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and olive oil.
In a food processor place nuts first and garlic, then add basil, cheese and stream in as much olive oil as you like. Keep tasting all the way until you get it to your liking.
There's so many uses for basil pesto but my favorite way is to simply toss it into some warm pasta!
Since I had so much basil, I wanted to try freezing some. On Facebook a few weeks ago I read how Lidia Bastianich does hers, she said, "Pluck the whole leaves and set them in a small paper cup, fill with water until the herb is submerged, then freeze. When frozen solid, pop the block of ice with the embedded herbs out of the paper cup and into a ziplock bag. The herbs, once the ice melts will be fresh and ready to use."
I filled 3 bags but I'm making more for sure. I hope you will give this a try it was so simple to do and you can pack quite a few leaves into the paper cups as opposed to using ice cube trays.


Thanks Lidia, I can't wait to pop these into my sunday sauce this winter!
Have a nice week everyone, and Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment