Thursday, October 16, 2008

The color of Obama

Starting a blog about black people in Europe with Barack Obama seems odd. But it’s the black connection that makes it less odd. As a black European I hope he will be first black president of the United States of America. No, I am not judging him by the content of his character, but just by the color of his skin. I’m sorry dr. King. Of course I am not the same as a white person who just wants a white person to be head of State just because he or she is white. No, as a black person I have a different angle. I need visual change, I would like to see, as Condi Rice puts its eloquently, "people who look like me" to shine at the highest level too.



But still the words of Martin Luther King haunt me. I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

No comments:

Post a Comment