Thursday, July 3, 2008

Balsamic Glazed Cipollini Onions, and a HUGE, HUGE Thanks!!

Before I get on to these cute little cipollini's, I have to share some good news with all of you.



Last week I was contacted by a wonderful woman from the Chicago Tribune, saying that they wanted to feature me as "Blogger of the Week" on their "Chicago's Best Blogs" website, and would I be interested!! Are you kidding me! Did you say, THE Chicago Tribune?? Needless to say I was in complete shock, I must have read the email 10 times before I responded, called every family member I have in a matter of 10 minutes, and I've been buzzing ever since.



I just want to say "Thank You" to the Chicago Tribune, I'm truly honored, and proud to display my badge!



And now on to these little gems!


Cipollini onions, pronounced "Cheep-oh-lee-nee" originated from Italy,but now you can find them all over the states. I've seen them in regular and specialty stores, and of course always at my Italian markets around here. Although they can be a little expensive at times, they're worth the special treat. They have an intense sweet flavor that especially comes out when you roast them. Which is my favorite way to eat them.


Their flat and saucer shaped with a thin, paper like skin, just remove the skin and trim the ends.

When you roast these with balsamic, it becomes a rich, syrupy glaze that flavors and caramelizes the entire onion The taste is phenomenal!!

Place them in a hot oven around 400 degree's, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, fresh thyme and a good balsamic vinegar, roast them till tender and caramelized, if the glaze seems to be cooking down to fast, just lower the oven to 350.



Picture a nice grilled steak with these on the side, or some grilled chicken, chops, or even a roast. Either way, I'm sure you're gonna love them!



Buon Appetito!!





No comments:

Post a Comment