Friday, May 2, 2014

PUFF COOKIES


Ever since I was a kid, these cookies have been known to me as "Puff Cookies", they were always made for special occasions by my Mom and Aunt Eileen. These cookies are seen in almost every Italian Bakery in my neck of the woods. I'm sure you might recognize them by a different name, such as Crescents, or Butter Balls, Italian, and Mexican Wedding cookies and Russian Tea cakes. I'm sure there are many other names, but to me they will always be... Puff Cookies! Like little puffs of snow, they just melt in your mouth upon impact, they are truly one of my favorites!!!


We never made the Crescent shape, ours were always rolled into a ball, placed on an ungreased cookie sheet, and pressed in the middle with your thumb print. This creates a nice indention for all the powdered sugar to fall into. But this must be done right out of the oven, nice and hot so all the sugar sticks to them.

See how the powdered sugar sticks in the indentions? When you take a bite they instantly melt in your mouth!! Oh, they're so good, you have to try them!


Here's the recipe****

This makes quite a bit, but I'm sure you could cut everything in half. But why would you? You could always share them with your family and friends.

1lb. of unsalted butter at room temperature (very important)

4cups of un-bleached flour

2 teaspoons of good vanilla

8 teaspoons of granulated sugar ( that's right, just 8)

3/4 cup of ground pecans which are totally optional, I've had them without and I like them just as much

A bowl filled with powdered sugar
Cream butter, add sugar and mix till light and fluffy. Next, add the flour and mix till all incorporated. Roll in balls and place on cookie sheet, and make a thumb print in each one.

Bake at 350 degreesF. for 20 min. Immediately roll into powdered sugar while hot, then let them cool on racks.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment