Monday, April 5, 2010

Easy Entertaining with Brunch

For Easter I decided to do a brunch, something different than the norm, it turned out to be a very relaxed form of entertaining, I can't wait to do it again! Food was served buffet style and we all ended up eating in my sun room with all the windows open, it was a beautiful spring day.

The menu consisted of mini pasta and cheese frittatas, artichoke frittata, pea and edamame crostini, fig stuffed french toast and Belgium waffles made to order. There was fresh fruit, strawberry and yogurt parfaits, orange juice, coffee and champagne punch.

One of the highlights of our brunch was this Italian Sausage Bread that I got over at
Food Blogga, it's actually Susan's mother-in-laws famous recipe. My family makes something very similar to this but we call it bastone, and always used a special cheese called tuma, ( which isn't always easy to find) and our dough was way more complicated. This appealed to me because she used pizza dough and fresh mozzarella for the cheese.

All the ingredients, which consist of hot Italian sausage, pepperoni, eggs, fresh mozzarella, parmesan cheese and parsley are precooked stove top in one pan and then it all gets folded into the dough. It was so quick and easy to do and such a hit! I will be making this throughout the year.

Don't be afraid to use hot Italian sausage, the dough and the egg soak up a lot of the heat and what you're left with is the perfect amount of spicyness. The only thing different I did was that I used thin sliced pepperoni instead of chunks, which I didn't have. I just snipped mine with a scissor and it was just fine. The flavors blended together are out of this world!


Go on over to Susan's blog to get the famous recipe and all the step by step instructions.

A word of advice: Cut a slice of this and pop it in the toaster for your morning breakfast!

For "something sweet" I made a glazed lemon pound cake, cinnamon rolls and a fresh strawberry quick bread.
If you haven't ever hosted a brunch in your home I would highly recommend it, I'm looking forward to doing it again!
Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment