Friday, September 26, 2008

Lavash Crackers w/ Artichoke Salsa! Daring Bakers September Challenge



This month's challenge was to make Lavash crackers along with a dip, spread, a salsa, or a relish of some sort. Here's the challenge... the crackers had to be made with an all purpose wheat flour, or a gluten free flour, I choose the wheat flour, because I had it in my house, but the toppings had to be made gluten and vegan free!


Our host's this month are alternative Daring Bakers, Natalie from Gluten A Go Go, and Shel, from Musings From The Fish Bowl. I want to thank them for picking a savory recipe this time, it was nice for a change. The recipe comes from the book, The Art Of Extraordinary Bread, By Peter Reinhart. Please check out their blogs for the complete recipe's and instructions on the crackers.


This took no time to get the dough together, I think it took longer to knead it! I probably didn't roll it thin enough I should have divided the dough in half, and rolled it into 2 pans, but I didn't!!


I used a dry seasoning I have that is a mixture of rosemary, garlic, lemon peel, and spicy red pepper, to press into the cracker dough. Some stuck, some didn't!


All in all this was a very easy and fun challenge, and who knew, I'd learn how to make crackers!!


The topping I chose was a very quick "Artichoke Salsa" which by the way is vegan, and gluten free! It's simply made by opening a jar or two of your favorite marinated artichokes, draining them and pulsing them in your food processor. When finished pulsing, pour into your bowl.


Then chop some red onion, slice up some kalamata olives, 1 clove of smashed garlic, and diced and seeded tomatoes. Finish off with salt, pepper, shredded basil, a hint of lemon peel and a little olive oil to taste.


It actually tasted really good with the crackers, and it was a great appetizer with a glass of wine!


Please check out the ever growing Daring Baker blogroll for all their cracker creations!


Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment