Monday, September 8, 2008

Risotto Primavera Cake!

I'm beginning to see a trend in my cooking. I've noticed I have a fondness for molded foods! No really! Check it out! Here, here, here, here, and here. And now I'm adding this one to my list! I must surely have a problem!!!

I started molding risotto about 10 yrs ago in my green Tupperware Jello mold, you know the one with the whole in the center. I read it somewhere in a magazine many years ago and I thought it was the coolest idea, especially for a dinner party as a side dish, I just liked the idea of cutting off a piece that was all contained, it has a nice presentation.
Believe me I don't do this all the time, we like our risotto the normal way, slathered on our plates too, but for something a little different and out of the ordinary, you might want to give this a try.



The other thing I like about this is the fact that you can make your risotto the day before, have all that stirring done, and your kitchen cleaned up! Use any combination you like, you know risotto's a personal thing. Put together the ingredients and flavors you enjoy!
I did a primavera, because I had alot of veggies I wanted to use up. In mine I used zucchini, yellow squash, red and green pepper, mushroom, onions, and pea's. I added to it, fresh parsley and basil, salt, pepper, and grated romano cheese.


The key here is that you use a little less liquid than normal, so it will have a drier consistency, but still be very moist and creamy. The other thing I do is saute my veggies first in another pan and set aside. I don't like my veggies overcooked and mushy, so when the risotto is finished absorbing all the liquid, thats when I'll fold my veggies in.
Grease your mold, here I used a springform pan. Pour your risotto mixture into it, make sure you press it down with the back of a spoon, then wrap in foil and refrigerate it! If you're making it the same day, still keep it in foil, but bake it in a 400 degree oven for about 30 to 35 min. Let it sit for about 5 min's, then un mold. You can serve this hot, cold, or at room temperature.



The important things to remember are, for every 1 cup of rice use 2 1/2 cups of stock, and don't forget to deglaze with a shot of wine, finish it off with a little butter, and the cheese. and don't forget you're going to bake it for about a half hour.
Other than that you could use any risotto recipe you like.
Any one else seeing a trend in their posts?
Buon Appetito Everyone!!


No comments:

Post a Comment