Saturday, April 12, 2008

EGGPLANT TIMPANO!!

I first saw this recipe in the cookbook Cucina & Famiglia, out of that cookbook came the signature Timpano that made the movie "Big Night" famous. I've been making that Timpano for years, and even did a post on it here. Its huge, it feeds 16 people and great for a party.
In the same book there's also a vegetarian version that I have been wanting to try for just as long. I think I was intimidated by the wrapping of the eggplant and all, so I just put it on my list of things I wanted to make.
Then a couple weeks ago I saw Giada De Laurentiis make this Eggplant Timbale on her show, she talked about how her Grandfather, Dino De Laurentiis, made this all the time for their family. I got inspired right then to make it, and I made it the very next day!
I sort of combined a little of both versions together, and came up with this. You can easily find her recipe by going to Food TV and put a search in for Eggplant Timbale, and it will come up.


Giada's recipe called for 2 eggplants, that didn't seem enough to me so I grilled about 4, and it was just enough. Depending on the size and length of each piece you definitely don't want to run out in the middle of doing this. You want to make sure the pieces are long enough to drape over a 9" spring form pan.


The filling is basically, 1/2 lb. of pasta cooked al'dente mixed together with a marinara, a little Marsala wine, peas, I put in some Italian sausage and a dry packed fresh mozzarella, along with grated romano, Giada used a smoked mozzarella in hers.



The spring form pan which has been lined with the grilled eggplant, filled with the pasta filling, and now folded over into a neat little package is now ready for the oven! 350 Degrees, for about 1/2 hr, till warmed through and cheese inside melts.



After you let it rest a good 10 min, release the pan. Everything molds together perfectly!




It all stayed together when I cut into it. Just use a serrated knife and gently cut it.




You don't have to add meat to it at all, you can make this completely vegetarian.



Can I tell you, the taste was out of this world, we loved it! It was light, and the flavors of the grilled eggplant along with the Marsala wine, sausage, marinara was wonderful, and it was just as good the next day, and the next. Yes, Hubby ate it 3 days in a row he loved it that much.

Not only does it taste good, but I think it looks spectacular don't you? Not because I made it, but just how the eggplant looks overlapped with the skin on for a little color, the grill marks and all of the above.



I would highly recommend you try this, all you need is a little salad on the side and you're good to go!

Buon Appetito!!





No comments:

Post a Comment