Thursday, July 8, 2010

Eggplant Salad/ Sandwich


The other day I went to lunch with my friends, what I ordered was so fabulous I just had to recreate it here and share it with all of you! On the menu it was called an eggplant salad, but the way it was presented was more like a sandwich, a sandwich stacked high with the most perfect combination of flavors!

Breaded Eggplant
Beef Steak Tomatoes
Buffalo Mozzarella
Arugula
EVOO
Balsamic Reduction


Breaded eggplant means it was fried, so that might scare off few people as it did me a little, but honestly you need that crunch in between the layers, plus it's only three pieces of eggplant anyway, but even so when you make it at home you can control the amount of oil you use as
I did in my re-creation.

I sliced my eggplant lengthwise, dipped each piece in beaten egg then coated each slice with dry breadcrumbs. I used a non stick pan sprayed with olive oil from my oil mister which I use all the time and love! I sprayed both sides of the eggplant as well and after they browned a bit on each side I placed them on a sheet pan and finished them off in a hot 450F oven until crispy, then blotted on paper towel.

Then it's all about the layering, start with a slice of eggplant, then layer with the mozzarella, next the tomato, then pile high the arugula which should be tossed in a light vinaigrette beforehand. Repeat layers ending with eggplant on top. Secure with a pick.
I purchased a balsamic glaze but you can reduce your own if you want to, just don't eliminate it because each bite is enhanced as its swiped through it.


This was huge and could be cut in half to share, I think next time I'll cut my eggplant into rounds which it will make it easier to handle.

Have a great weekend and Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment