Monday, July 5, 2010

I Made Kale Chips, and Hated Them!

I knew I was going to make these chips sooner or later, recipes have been floating around the blogosphere for a while now and I couldn't wait to try it myself. You see I have a daughter who loves kale, she convinced me to try it, and now I too love kale. In fact we're growing two different kinds in our garden this year and it's growing like crazy!

I sent her home with a huge bag of raw kale last week so she could make her salads with it, I tried giving her the kale chips, and she "No thanks!" This is coming from a kale loving person, and even she didn't like them!
I guess it's a love hate thing but to me it tastes like crispy seaweed that turns into dust in your mouth. Maybe I should have flavored them up more or done something different, or maybe I should just let it go and eat it the way I really like it, in salads and braised.


The way I made them was simple. Wash your kale real good and then make sure it's nice and dry. Cut your kale leaves off the stem and tear them into bite size pieces. Toss in olive oil, place on a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and bake until crispy about 20 minutes in a 300F oven.
If any of you kale chip lovers have some tips you want to share please feel free to do so, maybe there's still hope!

My husband who has the green thumb pulled our first eggplant and my favorite tiny clustered tomatoes today and the basil is growing out of control!

It must be all that watering he does! Enjoy your short work week, and Buon Appetito.

No comments:

Post a Comment