Friday, June 27, 2008

Rum, Raisin, and Ricotta Danish Braid

Daring Bakers June Challenge


Danish Braid


Danish dough, or as it's sometimes called laminated or layered dough, is a pastry technique. It's like the beginning steps of learning puff pastry," but not nearly as complex", so says the author Sherry Yard of (The Secrets of Baking). By learning this technique you can create a whole slew of different recipes, of course I would be contented just getting through this one!!



Although it was time consuming, it wasn't too difficult to do, as long as I had my directions close at hand.



Of course I had to put my Italian twist on it, so for my filling I decided to do sweetened ricotta cheese, with rum soaked, golden raisins. I soaked the raisins over night in the rum so they were definitely "drunk"!!



I wouldn't call this "braided to perfection" by any means. I prefer to call it a, well.... a more "rustic look".



The recipe called for Cardamon, which I didn't own, but really wanted to try, besides, I thought that it would go well with the ricotta . I searched a few stores for the cardamon, and ended up getting it at Whole Foods, it was ground, and only $4.99, which I thought was a steal. In my search I even found it as high as $15.00 (ouch!)

I was anxious to try Cardamon, because I've been reading that it's the "new Cinnamon". I can't say that I'm 100% sold on it yet, I'll have to try it again in something else. I do love it in Chai tea though!




The egg wash made for a beautiful golden brown finish!



Can you see the layers? It really worked!


I have a deep respect for bakers, with their exact measuring and patience, something I am learning to do in this group!




A big "Thank You" to our host's this month, Kelly, of Sass and Veracity, and Ben, over at What's
Cooking, for helping me get out of my "comfort zone". Go over and check out the complete recipe on their blogs.




Don't forget to check out some of the other Daring Bakers braids here.



No comments:

Post a Comment