Friday, August 5, 2011

Scuola dei Luganegheri

I love a city that can put on the front of a building "Restored 1684"! I have another photo of a plaque on a building that was restored in 1492! A gold star if you know where it is.
The chap in the centre is St Anthony, patron saint of butchers and pig-rearers, among other things. A luganegher is or was a pork butcher or sausage-maker, though there is some room for negotiation about the precise details. There is a creature, said to be a pig, sculpted behind the legs of the saint, but it does not look very pig-like to me. Perhaps pigs have changed since the figure was carved. I would love to know what the object is near to the saint's left hand - can you help?
I haven't said where this is, but you probably know and you can easily find it. It is now the Riviera Restaurant.
Sorry about the shocking barrel distortion. This photo was taken in 2008 with a Fuji Finepix camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment