Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Campanile of Sant'Andrea, Chioggia

That first photo taken in Chioggia that I posted was my favourite, and perhaps my best, so I've made a rod for my own back in trying to "follow that!"
The church of Sant'Andrea is of ancient foundation, but it was last rebuilt in 1734. The campanile is 13th century. The clock, designed by Giovanni Dondi, is [arguably] the second oldest in the world, being only a few months younger than Salisbury's. Recent studies have shown that it pre-dates Salisbury's. These two contradictory statements are to be found on the same Wiki page, which also gives a different date for the rebuilding of the church and for the age of the tower, but I prefer to believe the leaflet put out by the Chioggia Tourist Office and my Blue Guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment