Friday, November 14, 2008

Polenta Biscotti

Next time you're making biscotti, toss a little polenta into the mix, and what you'll get is a firm and crunchy texture that has a nice rustic flavor, and I have to say, they are ideal for dunking!

Now myself, I'm not really a dunker, I prefer to keep my coffee, free of any crumbs, and I don't like it when my biscotti gets all mushy! I prefer it crunchy all the way!!

On the other hand, my hubby is a major dunker, and so is his brother, and let me tell you when those two get together and dunk a bunch of biscotti, lets just say, in the end, the inside of their coffee cups are not a pretty sight!


I got this recipe while searching the net, and although I loved the ingredients, I wasn't crazy with the method of cooking it. They wanted you to cook the log and then refrigerate it for 12 hours!!
That wasn't going to happen, and besides I never made biscotti where I had to wait for 12 hrs. in between!

So here's my tweaked version!

INGREDIENTS:

4 Cups of Un-Bleached All purpose Flour
3/4 Cup Polenta
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
1 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
2 Teaspoons Aniseed
3 Eggs
1/2 Cup of Sliced Almonds
10 Tablespoons of Melted Butter
2 Teaspoons of Sambuca or Amaretto Liquor

In a bowl combine the flour, sugar, polenta, baking powder, aniseed, and almonds, set aside.

In another bowl, beat sugar with melted butter till light fluffy, blend in eggs one at a time, then add your liquor.

Form a log, or two, that's slightly flattened and place on a greased, or parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 350F, for 20 to 30 min's, depending on your oven. It should have a nice golden color. Cool completely.

When completely cooled, cut slices diagonal, about 1/2 inch thick, place back on the baking sheet cut side down for 6 to 10 min's, then flip them over for another 5. Ovens do very, and so does a preference for crunchiness, so cook them according to your likeness. They do get cruncher as they cool down. Store in an airtight container.

I dipped some in melted chocolate, but most of them I left plain. I would definitely make these again!


Buon Appetito! and Have A Great Weekend!

I'll be busy making homemade ravioli's with the family, which I'll be sure to post about!

No comments:

Post a Comment